I love a good pot of chili in the winter! I have cooked and tried a lot of different types of chili. There are many ways to prepare chili (with a lot of meat, no meat, thin, thick, with spaghetti, without spaghetti, sweet, spicy, bold, or even with a splash of chocolate). Chili can be made many different ways! If you like your chili thick, hearty and full of flavor you’ll love this recipe! I have played around with my recipe for many years and as a result I have finally figured out the perfect recipe! In conclusion, I have to share it with you all! Trust me, you will love it! Below I have included my thick hearty flavorful chili recipe that will awaken your taste buds and bring your belly much satisfaction! Enjoy and bon appetit! *updated 1-13-18*
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 can of rotel (with juice)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (drained)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper *ONLY IF YOU LIKE IT SPICY*
- In a large pot cook hamburger, garlic and onion on medium-low heat (until onions and garlic are soft) and drain.
- Slowly add tomato sauce, kidney beans, chili power, cumin, salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne pepper (if you want it spicy).
- Slowly mix well and let it come to a boil (cover so it doesn’t splash and burn you), stirring occasionally.
- Lower temperature to a simmer and let simmer for one hour (covered). Stir occasionally.
- Let cool and add your favorite toppings and/or enjoy with your sandwich of choice.
This chili may also be prepared in a crock-pot/slow-cooker! Simply follow steps 1&2 and add to crock-pot for around 6 hours on high or 8 on low. 🙂